Electric bicycles are becoming increasingly more popular, and there’s no doubt about why more consumers are considering them as an alternative mode of transportation for short commutes.
Since these bicycles rely on rechargeable batteries, they’re much better for the environment than vehicles that use gas. They may not be as fast as cars, but they’re a more economical and planet-conscious way to get yourself around.
Whether you intend on using your bicycle for short commutes or athletic activities, you’ll want to make sure the model you decide on fits your needs. Since electric bikes can be expensive, you’ll want to make sure you get the right bike the first time.
A well maintained electric bicycle can last a long time with relatively little work, provided the bicycle you select is built for what you intend to use it for.
Think About What You Need
If you’re buying the electric bicycle for yourself, it’s easy to determine what you need. If you’re buying it for someone else, you may have to think a little harder.
Not all electric bikes are built the same. There are city bikes, mountain bikes, and bikes that are intended solely to replace a car. Before you start shopping, outline your budget, and try to narrow it down to the model that will give you the quality and performance you need.
Some bikes are better for beginners and young commuters, because of their basic features and low top speeds. Other bikes can reach up to 20 miles per hour, making them a better choice for adults.
Different batteries offer different travel ranges before needing a charge, so you’ll have to consider how far you intend to travel – especially if you don’t intend on bringing a charger with you.
Serious enthusiasts will be drawn to more versatile models that are intended to deliver top performance in a variety of settings.
Casual users will appreciate simple city bikes with room for storage, allowing them to transport their personal items or goods back and forth with them. You may find that in the end, it’s worth the splurge on a higher end electric bicycle that can suit a variety of needs, because that’s nearly the same as getting two bikes as one.
If you’re looking to keep costs lower, you’ll find that there are plenty of simpler, affordable models on the market that can get you where you need to go without costing a serious chunk of your paycheck.
The Best Electric Bicycles
Once you’ve figured out your specific needs, it’s time to narrow down which electric bicycle is the best to get the job done.
There are endless options when it comes to electric bicycles, so knowing what the market has to offer will allow you to find the best quality for your money and the combination of features that will create your perfect bike.
Watseka XP Cargo-Electric Bicycle-26
In terms of the typical prices of electric bicycles, Watseka makes an affordable one. This unisex commuter is excellent for people who want an electric bicycle to simplify short trips to the store, or even to school.
Built in storage allows you to carry a few small things around with you, and the battery will last long enough for most average local trips.
- Removable AGM battery pack is long lasting, easily replaceable, and allows you to ride for longer.
- Easy shifting with the 6-speed gear set by Shimano.
- Battery capacity allows you to ride up to 18 miles between charges.
- Non gender specific design makes this electric bicycle versatile enough for everyone to use.
- Front basket and rear cargo rack make it easy to transport things like groceries or school books on this bike.
- Some users find the pedal assist is unnecessary.
- Since this bike is heavy, it’s difficult to carry upstairs or pedal manually when the motor isn’t turned on.
- Unusual back tire size makes it difficult to attach a bike trailer. This won’t be a problem if you’re content with the basket and storage racks that come built onto the bike.
Richbit Updated Black Green Electric Bike TP12 36V 350W
Richbit makes durable electric mountain bikes. Fat tire bikes are very popular among serious mountain biking enthusiasts, who love the shock absorption they get. It would be a waste of a perfectly good bike if you didn’t take this one out on the big trails.
- 21 gear shifting system by Shimano
- Aluminum cruiser frame keeps the bike as light as possible, despite the weight of its electric equipment.
- Speed rating of 30 – 35 KMPH with a max distance of 45 KM means this bike can tackle lengthy trails with relative ease.
- 180 day warranty and 1 year battery warranty give you peace of mind about your investment.
- The bike has a readout for the battery, but not the speed. Users should exercise caution while accelerating.
- Since the bike is not American made, replacement parts or custom modifications are slightly more difficult with import parts.
Cyclamatic Power Plus Electric Mountain Bike with Lithium-ion Battery
The adventurous outdoorsman will love this electric mountain bike. This traditional model, without fat tires, compares to the mountain bikes that everyone knows and loves with the upgrade of its high-powered electric boost that takes things to the next level.
- Lithium ion battery is one of the best available on the market.
- Versatility of an electric mountain bike for substantially less than competing models.
- This bike can travel up to 30 miles on a single charge
- Some people find the top speed of 10 mph to be too gentle, but casual riders will be able to appreciate the bike without being overwhelmed.
- It’s difficult to find bike shops that are capable of servicing this bike because of the way it’s manufactured.
Jetson Lithium Ion Powered Eco-Friendly Electric Bike
Jetson makes a very unique bike, and the brand prides itself as being a leader in the electric bike industry. Jetson bikes look unlike any bike you’ve seen before, bringing the comfort and style of a motorcycle together with the performance of a bicycle.
This ergonomically designed bike is a premium model, and ideal for serious enthusiasts.
- Jetson makes this bike in twelve colors, offering a variety far larger than any other electric bicycle manufacturer.
- Top speeds of 20 miles per hour combined with a 40 mile range on one charge outperforms even the best of other premium electric bicycles.
- USA based customer service is easy to contact.
- Heavier riders find that the battery does not go as far as stated.
- Some external components are plastic, making them susceptible to cosmetic damage.
- Bike is very costly, but you get what you pay for.
X-Treme Trail Maker High Performance Electric Bike
This bike is an easy choice for a rider who is searching for the halfway point between a casual bike and an athletic bike. This bike can take you down the sidewalk or around the park of your hometown, and even endure some light riding trails. This is the best of both worlds, especially for people who intend to ride their electric bike in a variety of environments.
- Aluminum alloy frame is lightweight, making this bike easy to control.
- A top speed of 20 miles per hour with an average range between 20 to 25 miles per hour makes this bike great for short trips.
- The seat posts and front of the bike are shock absorbing for your comfort and ease of ride.
- Auto assists comes preconfigured, and users cannot adjust it.
- Assembly instructions are unclear to some, especially if they are not mechanically inclined.
E-go 26″ Inch White Electric Bicycle City E Bike
E-go’s electric bicycle is premium performance made simple. While many electric bikes that utilize a lot of complicated high performance components that can be difficult to configure, E-go takes the guesswork out for the rider. If you don’t plan on customizing your bike but still want something that will perform better than a budget bike, this may be the bike for you.
- Samsung branded battery is rated as safe and easy to replace when the battery has reached the end of its lifespan.
- Frame is aluminum alloy, reducing the weight of the bike in the event that the user should choose to pedal manually.
- Great for light trails and local commutes.
- Bike cannot continue to propel itself uphill for an extended period of time.
- This bicycle is manufactured in China, and this can cause service complications for someone who is not handy with the bike or doesn’t have access to a bike shop that services electric bicycles.
e-JOE Epik Sport Edition SE Folding Electric Bike
e-JOE makes a unique multifunctional electric bike that stands out in its construction. Though it appears to be simple, this bike packs a beefy motor. You’d be surprised what you can do with an e-JOE Epik Sport. Riders in places like San Francisco love these bikes as urban commuters.
- Comes with an authorized dealer warranty in the event you should experience any issues.
- Reaches a top speed of 20 miles per hour, going up to 30 miles on a single charge.
- Front and rear lights make this bike safe for night time riding.
- Bike is lightweight, so manual pedaling isn’t difficult.
- Requires some assembly.
- One of the priciest bikes on the market, though its performance justifies the price tag.
Prodeco V3 Phantom X2 8 Speed Folding Electric Bicycle
Prodeco considers their V3 Phantom to be one of the most aggressive and valuable bikes on the market, and their consumers agree. This brand is focused on technology, providing top of the line innovation for prices that put other high end electric bikes to shame.
- SRAM drive train technology coupled with AVID BB7 Disc Brakes creates maximum performance potential.
- With a standard top speed of 20 miles per hour, this bike crushes its competitor with a maximum range of nearly 40 miles per hour – nearly unheard of.
- Highly adjustable, so serious enthusiasts can customize their experience.
- 12-amp hour advanced lithium ion battery is one of the best available.
- Gear switch on left handle feels counterintuitive to some users.
- Not compatible with back racks.
Greenbike USA Electric Motor Power Bicycle
Most folding electric bikes tend to run on the more expensive side of the spectrum, but Greenbike’s answer is slight more affordable. You’re getting an environmentally friendly powered transporter that comes with a lot of the same benefits of more expensive models with some smaller modifications that reduce the price.
- Battery has an extended range. While the manufacturer claims the bike will go up to 50 miles on a single charge, users report a still impressive 30 miles per charge at about 20 miles per hour.
- Both front and rear brakes make coming to a stop easy, especially if the rider needs to brake suddenly.
- Pedal assist is selectable, so the user can throttle at his or her whim.
- Battery and motor covered by warranty for up to a full year.
- Battery charging process is slightly complicated.
- Users have to install their own storage baskets for transporting items, as the bike does not come pre-equipped with toting solutions.
EVELO Aries Electric Bike with NuVinci N360 Drivetrain & 250W Mid-Drive Motor
This electric bicycle is excellent for people who want a premium quality bike for athletic purposes. It’s a little more durable, and several of its components are subject to exclusive patents.
This bike is intended to scale high hills just as well as it can ride on the sidewalk, offering you the versatility that competitors often lack.
- Battery allows for a 20 mile range in electric only mode, or 40 miles when switching modes.
- Inclusion of a digital speedometer allows you to closely monitor your speed.
- Drivetrain handles all gears with a simple to use control dial.
- Hill climbing ability allows this bike to be utilized in even the roughest of environments.
- One of the most expensive consumer electric bicycles, though if that’s the only con, the price is certainly justified.